Fibroids are benign growths on the uterus. They can get pretty big and cause problems like heavy bleeding, pelvic pain/pressure, frequent urination, and infertility. If fibroids are small and not causing any problems, then the best treatment is to leave them alone. An ultrasound can be done periodically to check the size of the fibroids. For fibroids causing issues, the main options are:
1. Hormone-based pills, IUD, Depo Provera, and Nexplanon. They can be considered for treatment of mild symptoms, especially for women who need contraception.
2. Endometrial ablation. This 2 minute procedure can work well if the fibroids are small and do not significantly touch the lining of the uterus.
3. Myolysis. This newer technology uses heat to reduce fibroid size by approximately 50%. Results vary.
4. Uterine artery embolization. This leads to significant shrinking of the fibroids over time.
5. Surgery with removal of the fibroids only, or removal of the entire uterus.
In the world of fibroids, individualized care is everything.
I'm ready when you are.